The 2015 edition of The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law includes about 300 new or revised entries, including a Sports chapter that is updated with terms on baseball, basketball, football, horse racing, soccer and winter sports.
For the first time, an 85-page index has been added to the back of the Stylebook to help users more quickly find words and definitions.
Changes in the 2015 Stylebook include:
- Sports updates ranging over baseball playoffs, basketball’s NCAA Tournament, horse racing, injuries, Olympic Games, race distances, soccer tactics and titles
- New guidance on covering suicide in news reports. The phrase “committed suicide” should be avoided except in direct quotations from authorities because it may imply an illegal act. Alternate phrases are killed himself, took her own life or died by suicide.
- Global warming can be used interchangeably with climate change.
- New or revised entries on the Affordable Care Act; animal welfare activist; autism spectrum disorder; Ebola, execution-style; justify; obscenities, profanities and vulgarities; One World Trade Center; and privacy.
- Nearly three dozen new entries, ranging from amaretto to tsimmes, in the Food chapter, and more than a dozen in the Fashion chapter, from Manolo Blahnik to Alexander Wang.
At more than 600 pages, the AP Stylebook is widely used as a writing and editing reference in newsrooms, classrooms and corporate offices worldwide.
AP publishes a new spiral-bound Stylebook each spring. Basic Books publishes a perfect-bound paperback AP Stylebook every other year.
Edited by David Minthorn, Sally Jacobsen and Paula Froke.
AP DOES NOT ACCEPT RETURNS -- PLEASE ORDER THE EXACT NUMBER OF BOOKS YOU NEED.
Trade bookstores should click here.
• ISBN 978-0-917360-61-9
• college bookstores ($16.75/copy)
• AP member newspapers ($16.75/copy)
• other journalists ($20.95/copy)
Sign up for automated book delivery and save
If you want to ensure you always have the latest AP Stylebook -- so you can tell the difference between insure and ensure -- sign up for our annual book subscription.
You will be among the first to receive our spiral-bound Stylebook when it launches each spring and you will save 20 percent off the retail price of the book each year. You will have the opportunity to review your order before we ship your AP Stylebook.
AP style also comes in several other formats, so you can choose how you like to stay in style:
• the searchable, Web-based Stylebook Online
• Stylebook Mobile for iOS
• StyleGuard for Word and StyleGuard for Outlook automated style checking
• AP Lingofy style checking for Chrome, Firefox and Explorer
• AP Stylebook & Webster's New World Online includes guidance from AP's primary dictionary
• AP Style Quizzes to help you improve your style knowledge