The 2016 edition of The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law includes nearly 250 new or revised entries – including lowercase internet and web – and the first interior page redesign in decades.
At about 600 pages, the AP Stylebook is widely used as a writing and editing reference in newsrooms, classrooms and corporate offices worldwide. Updated regularly since its initial publication in 1953, the AP Stylebook provides fundamental guidelines for spelling, language, punctuation, usage and journalistic style. It is the definitive resource for journalists.
Changes in the 2016 Stylebook include:
- 50 new and updated technology terms, including emoji, emoticon and metadata
- 36 new and updated entries in the food chapter, from arctic char to whisky/whiskey, and eight new and updated entries in the fashion chapter, including normcore and Uniqlo
- New entries discouraging the use of child prostitute and mistress; restricting spree to shopping or revelry, not killing; and using the number of firefighters or quantity of equipment sent to a fire, not the number of alarms
- DJ is now allowed on first reference, and spokesperson is recognized, in addition to spokesman and spokeswoman
- New guidance on the terms marijuana, cannabis and pot; cross dresser and transvestite; accident and crash; notorious and notoriety
- A new entry on data journalism
The interior page redesign features new typography to make entries easier to find and read and the addition of navigational tabs on the sides of pages.
Edited by Tom Kent, Jerry Schwartz, David Minthorn and Paula Froke.
AP DOES NOT ACCEPT RETURNS -- PLEASE ORDER THE EXACT NUMBER OF BOOKS YOU NEED.
• ISBN 978-0-917360-63-3
• college bookstores ($18.35/copy)
• AP member newspapers ($18.35/copy)
• retail ($22.95/copy)
Sign up for automated book delivery and save
If you want to ensure you always have the latest AP Stylebook -- so you can tell the difference between insure and ensure -- sign up for our annual book subscription.
You will be among the first to receive our spiral-bound Stylebook when it launches each spring and you will save 20 percent off the retail price of the book each year. You will have the opportunity to review your order before we ship your AP Stylebook.
AP style also comes in several other formats, so you can choose how you like to stay in style:
• the searchable, Web-based Stylebook Online
• StyleGuard for Word and StyleGuard for Outlook automated style checking
• AP Lingofy style checking for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Explorer
• AP Stylebook & Webster's New World Online includes guidance from AP's primary dictionary
• AP Style Quizzes to help you improve your style knowledge